Wednesday 15 December 2010

In Memory of Juries Past (and Passed)

You Know Your Violin Teachers Are Wonderful People 
(in addition to being skilled performers and teachers):
 
-When your teacher spends twenty minutes telling you about his new baby.
(Okay, this also falls under "How You Know that You're a Baaaaaad Student", like when you come unprepared and use this question to get out of an uncomfortable lesson. Yes. I confess. But I only used it twice. And I will ALWAYS carry nail clippers in my purse. Forever and ever.)

-When they offer to teach you during the Winter Break, Summer Vacation, or an extra lesson on the weekend. 
I never thought I would say this, but, um, I actually enjoy lessons. Especially if I prepare for them. Ahem.

-When they tell you not to schedule more lessons but to go do something FUN.

-When they don't chastise or embarrass you for having post-studio-class-meltdowns, pre-jury- breakdowns, or other emotional-water-works-moments. Yes, these happened a lot. But hugs were often involved. I told you my teachers were wonderful.

-When they invite the whole studio over for a party with homemade Beef Stroganoff, ice cream, and readings from Winnie the Pooh.

-When they call you the day before your juries to reassure you that you're going to do fine, not to stress, take it easy, and have fun.

~*~*~*~
Many thanks to Ms. L. and S.!

No comments:

Post a Comment